7 years ago in 2010, National Ostomy Awareness Day was created with a goal to spread awareness and increase the visibility of those living with ostomies. This life-changing surgery is recognized on October 7th, 2017 with the purpose in mind to educate, inform and inspire those on this journey. Life after an ostomy isn’t an easy life to adjust to but with the right support, resources, and information, we can continue to live our best life.
At C&S Ostomy Pouch Overs, 2017 has been all about growing our online community to provide a place of connectivity, support, inspiration, and health. We’ve taken the year to design pouch covers that give hope and remind every ostomate that we can have fun, comfort, hope, and even humor through all aspects of life with an ostomy. With arms wide open, we’ve invited others to come forward with their ostomy journey and share each step with us. Through sadness, depression, sickness, and fear, ostomates from around the world have dedicated their time to gather their thoughts, feelings and personal stories of victory and delivered to our community in hopes of helping others in a similar path. Whether you are just starting your adventure or decades in, every story is different and has something to teach each other.
DID YOU KNOW? Approximately 100,000 ostomy surgeries are performed annually in the United States. – Stats UOAA
Stories like registered Dietician, Personal Trainer, and Cook, Sylvia Katharine Engel who celebrated the day she was told she would get her “wished Stoma” because she knew it would save her life. Her encouraging story can be read here. How about Wieke, ileostomy Crohn princess on Instagram motivating thousands in the ostomy community to be who they are, never limit their lives because of anything, and the ups and downs of her personal journey. Her story, Ileostomy Inspires Online Community can be read here. The awe-inspiring, Erin Goodwin, story Radiating Confidence with an Ostomy Bag is one you can’t forget. “If someone had told me when this journey began that I would be in a boudoir glamour shoot radiating confidence with an ostomy bag I would have laughed at them and then silently cried about it later, “ said, Erin. You can read her story here.
Image: Wieke ( L ) & Erin Goodwin ( R )
These are just a few brave and bold stories our customers are sharing with us. There are so many convenient and effective ways you can get involved in spreading the word and educating the public about this life-saving solution. Some great ways to get involved are outlined below and we hope you continue to join us not just Oct, 7th or the month of Oct but every day take your part to inform, educate and inspire all around the world.
DID YOU KNOW? Babies, kids, and adults have ostomies.
6 Ways to Get Involved this National Ostomy Awareness Day
- CONNECT. We are active and connected with an ostomy community from every age group on our social media platforms and we invite you to join us. Participate in our discussions, get access to networks and support. Learn about tips, products, and resources to provide you guidance, feedback, words of encouragement, etc. You can connect with us through the links below:
- SHOW. Get a free Hollister “Stoma Sticker” to help get the conversation started and raise ostomy awareness! Place the sticker over your clothes, on the lower right or left side of your abdomen, where ostomies are typically located. Then, take a photo and share it on social media with the hashtag #OstomyDay2017 to help raise awareness and show your support! Click here to order yours today.
- RUN. Grab your tennis shoes! Support, join or cheer a Run for Resilience Ostomy 5k near you or do a virtual run/walk in your favorite place to walk. You can now register at www.ostomy5k.org.
- SHARE. Want to be featured as a guest blogger? We invite you to submit a story idea to us for the opportunity to have your story featured on our blog. We welcome ostomates from around the world to share their message to the world. If you are interested, please submit your story to us at customerservice@cspouchcovers.
com. We look forward to hearing from you.
- COVER. No better time to show your Stoma some love! Get fun, creative and encouraging with a pouch cover bag. Browse our inspiration line and use coupon code AWARENESS for 10% off ALL pouch covers ( singles + sets ) the entire month of October. Shop fun, inspiring, new pouch covers here.
- PRINT. What is an Ostomy? What is a Stoma? What are the different kinds of Ostomies? Download this FREE Ostomy 101 infographics poster to print & share with others. You can download it here.
DID YOU KNOW? There are 725,000 – 1,000,000 persons living with an ostomy in the U.S. – UOAA Stats
Always remember, Ostomies save lives. It could save yours too. #OstomyDay2017
Written by: C&S Ostomy Pouch Covers
Written by: C&S Ostomy Pouch Covers
Statistics provided by UOAA